Sunday, June 17, 2012


Happy Fathers Day


In this entry I am going to shy away from my usual MO, a blog full of sexualized jokes and curse words. Don’t you fret, this won’t last long…I promise! But today is Fathers Day, and I recently lost my dad after a long battle with cancer. For a brief moment I’m going to let you all know what an amazing man he was and share with you some of the lessons he shared with me.

Dear Dad,
HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!!! I miss you daily, but am very thankful for the many valuable lessons you have taught me. I can tell you this without a doubt, I would not be the women I am today without those lessons. On this Fathers Day I wanted to take a stroll down memory lane with you. Do you remember the summer day you woke brother and I up early in the morning with a packed cooler and a plan for an adventure? The three of us jumped in your pick-up and headed down to the river to canoe to a secret sand bar you and your buddies use to party on. While we had soda and turkey sandwiches to tide us over, in your youth you probably had beer and women. Despite that one minute difference we still managed to have an exciting journey! Being a single father you didn’t have a lot of money to keep us busy, but you sure did love spending time with us, sharing stories of your adolescence and teaching us how to thoroughly enjoy life. This is one of the most important gifts you have given me, the ability to enjoy life no matter what obstacles are thrown my way, thank you!

Another gift you have given me is the capability to be creative. Each summer you would take brother and I to a rock music festival to camp, fish, and most importantly listen to some classic rock! You had to be creative in coming up with ways to keep us entertained for days with no TV, cell phones, or other gadgets to distract us. So you came up with Frisbee Golf. Dad, the funny thing is that now there is an entire sport called Frolf (aka Frisbee golf). You’re a damn genius (guess I got that from you too ;))!!! But in your version of ‘Frolf’ we used a regular old Frisbee, not those gay little ones they have now, and trees that you marked were our targets. Now that’s innovation, plus now that I think about it, it was probably a total chick magnet! A young strapping man playing Frisbee with his two children…smart dad, very smart!

Another precious lesson I learned from you was to always support those you love. You did this my entire childhood by never missing a game, parent teacher conference, or even one of my dreadful show choir concerts. This particular memory takes place at a home softball game during my sophomore year of high school. It was a warm sunny day and I knew you would be there, being my biggest cheerleader and all. Sure enough, from the outfield I saw you pull into the lot with plenty of time until the game started. I continued to warm up with the rest of my team, but as we started to trickle in I heard you cheering and a lot of laughter. It wasn’t long until I discovered what was so comical. YOU! Not just you, but you dressed as a cheerleader in your cut off jean shorts, short shorts…very short shorts that you made special for this public display. Topped off with a cut off t-shirt with our last name scribbled on the back, hair in pigtails, pom-poms, and two empty Diet Mountain Dew cans stuffed into your shirt! I was a 16 year old girl in a small town…needless to say my face was more than red. You did a few of your choreographed cheers, made everyone laugh and went to change and headed back to the stands in your civilian clothes. Even I, red faced and all couldn’t help but crack up laughing. Thankfully you were my biggest cheerleader and now I can share that same love and support with those closest to me, even if I do embarrass the fuck out of them.

Lastly, dad you taught me how to take risks. For example you had a motorcycle. An old Harley with NO BRAKES!!! Thankfully you never took us on it, but you sure did love to let your hair down and ride it. “The breaks are bad, but that is what your feet are for” you would tell people. Do I take this lesson literally and drive anything without breaks? Hell no! Luckily you also raised me to be smart ;) I do, however, not shy away from a little risk or adventure. I think if you were with me this summer you have been the first to raise your hand and say you would go sky diving with me. You would have loved it, and I would be willing to bet it is sure as shit safer than riding a motorcycle with no breaks.

Thank you dad for all of your encouragement and unparalleled love throughout the years; I miss you but cherish the amazing and sometimes amusing memories we have shared. I love you and happy Fathers Day! Don’t worry this year I didn’t make you a bracelet you have to pretend to like.

Love,
Your Daughter 

No comments:

Post a Comment